Editor's Choice: Scroll below for our monthly blend of mainstream and alternative news and views for April 2017
Disputed Labor Nominee Scheduled For Senate Vote
Washington Free Beacon, Senate Poised to Confirm Acosta to Labor Department, Bill McMorris, April 25, 2017. GOP expects that law school dean has the votes to join the cabinet. The Senate is expected to confirm Alexander Acosta (shown in an official photo) as the next Secretary of Labor by the end of the week. The Senate will hold a cloture vote on Wednesday to move Acosta's nomination to the full Senate floor and Republicans expect to hold a vote before Friday. Acosta, dean of the Florida International University School of Law, will be one of the last cabinet officers to be seated in the administration after President Trump's initial nominee, fast food executive Andy Puzder, withdrew from consideration in February.
Acosta has enjoyed a less contentious process than Puzder, who was the subject of an intense campaign from labor groups over his company's wage policies, as well as pressure due to the resurfacing of since-retracted allegations of domestic abuse.
Acosta, unlike Puzder, has prior public sector experience and has been confirmed by the Senate to three different administration positions, including a short term on the National Labor Relations Board, the federal government's top labor arbiter. ...
The Justice Integrity Project (JIP) researches official misconduct
Get New Articles by Email
Broadcast and lecture audiences can count on the Project's director to deliver blunt, entertaining and cutting-edge commentary about public affairs, with practical tips for the millions of Americans caught up in unfair litigation or regulation.
Based in Washington, DC, Andrew Kreig is an accomplished fighter for the public interest. Learn from his decades of reporting, analysis and advocacy:
• Shocking tales of recent corruption, deception and cover-up by both parties in communities ranging from small towns to world capitals; and
• Practical how-to tips for reformers on action that brings real-world results.
Past News Reports
- April 2017 News Reports
- March 2017 News Reports
- February 2017 News Reports
- January 2017 News Reports
- December 2016 News Reports
- November 2016 News Reports
- October 2016 News Reports
- September 2016 News Reports
- August 2016 News Reports
- July 2016 News Reports
- June 2016 News Reports
- May 2016 News Reports
- April News Reports 2016
- March 2016 News Reports
- February 2016 News Reports
- January 2016 News Reports
Find a Post
- Alabama Blogger, Not Mainstream Media, Exposed State House Scandal
- Conniving Supreme Court Gorsuch Backers Deserved Tough Tactics
- At CAPA Forum, JFK Experts See Need, Momentum For Assassination Records
- Senators Must Block Trump Labor Pick Until They Review Evidence Of Teen Sex Trafficking Cover Up, Other Scandals
- Did Trump's Labor Pick Protect Trump, Rich Rapists, Tax Cheats, Crooked Bankers?